Short Overview of Follicles & Its Characteristics
To begin with, let’s explain what mostly patients think of follicles. Well, they believe that follicle is same as oocyte(eggs).
The female reproductive cell is the egg, and the male reproductive cell is the sperm. These are the cells present in embryos acquired after fertilization.
The follicle is a functional anatomical structure that is responsible for making ovary and the egg is the cell that will develop in a microscopic part of internal wall of a follicle over natural or stimulated ovarian cycle in typical conditions. Besides, the follicle has different cell types which generate oestrogen needed for general development of the egg. Follicular monitoring a simple technique for assessing ovarian follicles at regular intervals and documenting the pathway to ovulation.
During the first weeks of life of the female embryo, the endowment of eggs is dogged. From first period they will choose, in every cycle an egg. More excellent eggs are the first to be chosen likewise with the progression of time, the eggs of the succeeding cycles have lower quality. This specifies why older women have more trouble getting pregnant and have great miscarriages rate.
Why is vital to know what is the endowment of follicles in every woman and their evolution during the ovarian cycle?
While doing the study of female fertility it is important to understand what your ovarian reserve is. Hormonal analysis for evaluation (FSH, LH, hormone AMH, etc) and vaginal ultrasound in different forms are made.
Right now is as yet counting ovarian follicles, the right estimate of ovarian reserve in a given patient. This reserve is shown in number of follicles per ovary seen in the primary days of the cycle (second to fifth) by conducting a vaginal ultrasound. These follicles are known as “antral”. Also, ultrasound enables us to follow the development of follicles both in natural cycle as in an invigorated cycle ripeness treatment.
Based on the amount of antral follicles-
- if the count is 6-10, a woman has normal ovarian reserve
- if the count is less than 6, a woman has low ovarian reserve
- if the count is more than 12, a woman has high ovarian reserve
Follicular size in this cycle stage is 2 to 10 mm.
Women who belong to the category of low ovarian reserve are bound to not respond to treatment as well as women with high ovarian reserve are responding in an overstated manner. In both cases, it is basically the treatment cycle which is dropped than when the follicular count is normal.
- During natural cycle, one known as “dominant” is chosen from the antral follicles. With respect to size and quick growth, the follicle is different from each other. Lastly, will be a mature follicle or De Graaf made to “ovulate”. The others atresian, that is they vanish or pass on as a major aspect of a programmed biological procedure. Before ovulation happens, the usual diameter of the dominant follicle is between 22 to 24 mm (range 18-36 mm). It is the main marker that can anticipate ovulation effortlessly.
- In stimulated cycle (hormonal treatment), for the most part, all or the vast majority of the antral follicles develop. The development rate will be dissimilar for every one of them. When a few of them have expanded to a size of around 18 mm a HCG hormone (ovitrelle) that triggers ovulation is controlled. The egg collection is planned 36 hours after administration of the hormone. The point of treatment is to gather the most mature eggs that would then be able to be fertilized by sperm.
Therefore, the development of a follicle doesn’t always imply that contains inside a mature egg.
As in a semen test not all spermatozoa have enough quality to fertilize an egg and not all follicles have mature eggs, or not all eggs have a similar quality.
In a few cases, it can produce empty follicle syndrome. But, in this case, it would not be egg recovery after ovarian stimulation during IVF treatment in patients with adequate growth follicles and estradiol levels (a hormone delivered by cells lining the follicle wall). Its reason is obscure. Various conditions have been considered as a mistake in the administration of hCG, strange response to treatment, disabled follicular mellowing. Unclear predisposing factors that could assess or build up their possible occurrence yet has been seen mostly in women with a history of primary infertility and having excellent follicle count. To conclude, any woman, even when not planning pregnancy right now, can found out with a basic count of follicles amid a regular gynecological Ultrasound Gurgaon, their ovarian reserve. Consequently, great percentage of women could know ahead of time if this is fitting or not. Maybe, many women would strive to get pregnant prior if they knew this condition. Remember the ovary, unfortunately, is an organ that becomes “drained” soon. Half of the life is based on it as compared to other organs.